Arabia has confirmed it has arrested a Canadian man reported missing
in the kingdom, Canada's embassy in the Saudi capital Riyadh said
yesterday. "We have received acknowledgement from Saudi officials
that he was arrested on March 16," Yves Duval, third secretary at
the embassy, told Reuters by telephone.
"The Canadian ambassador met the Saudi deputy interior minister
last week and consular access was discussed," said Duval, adding
it was not clear when Canadian diplomats would be allowed to meet the
man. Duval declined to identify the man, who lived and worked in
Riyadh, or say what charges he might face. The man's family reported
him missing last month.
A Saudi newspaper report last week appeared to link the Canadian to a
bomb blast in Riyadh on March 15, which injured a Briton and an
Egyptian. It was not clear if the March bombing was linked to three
other blasts late last year, two in Riyadh and one in eastern Saudi
Arabia, which killed one Briton and injured several other people.
Another Canadian citizen, William Sampson, as well as a Briton and a
Belgian were shown on Saudi state television in February confessing to
involvement in last year's Riyadh bombings. They could face execution
if convicted. The three did not give a motive, but said they had
received orders to carry out the bombings. They did not say who gave
the orders. Some Saudi newspapers have linked last year's Riyadh
blasts to illegal activities, including trading in alcohol, which is
banned in the kingdom.
Source: Gulf News©