Accountants, auditors, lawyers and legal consultants, engineers and
engineering consultants, translators and translation bureaus must be licensed by
the Ministry of Commerce. Individuals wishing to obtain a license should possess
the prerequisite qualifications and experience and establish contact with the
appropriate authorities. The following Ministerial Resolutions are available on
1- Ministerial Resolution No. 346 dated 1 Ramadan 1397 H. (1977) related to
"Organization of Translation Profession". Following are the main points:
- To practice translation, one should be on file with the Ministry of
Commerce which keeps a register for this purpose.
- A license is issued to non-Saudis under the following conditions:
-Applicant should have a recognized university degree in his chosen
language and six years general experience as a translator.
should establish residency in the country three months prior to acquiring
a license to practice translation.
2- Ministerial Resolution No. 1190 dated 16 Safar 1401 H. (1982) pertaining
to "Organization for Practicing Legal Consultancy". Following are the main
- Only Saudi nationals are allowed to practice legal consultancy.
- Licensed legal consultants may hire one or more foreign legal
consultants as long as they accept supervisory responsibility for them.
Foreign consultants should be confined to preparing memoranda in the name
of the Saudi consultant, providing legal advice, and assisting in office
- Previously licensed foreign legal consultants may temporarily continue
practicing law provided they are working full time and available for at
least nine months a year of uninterrupted service in the country.
3- Ministerial Resolution No. 264 dated 16 Ramadan 1402 H. (July 7,1982)
which regulates the "Profession of Engineering Consultants". Following are the
- Licenses shall be issued to those who hold Bachelor of Science degrees
in the following engineering areas: 1)Architecture and Planning, 2)Civil
Engineering, 3)Electrical Engineering, 4)Mechanical Engineering, 5)Mining
Engineering, 6)Petroleum Engineering (Exploration), 7)Chemical
Engineering, 8)Agriculture Engineering, 9)Industrial Engineering,
10)Systems Engineering and 11)Project Management Engineering.
- Licenses shall be granted to Saudi Engineers, general consulting
bureaus, and Saudi professional general partnership (consulting
- The bureau owner of the partners must be Saudi engineers.
- License applications should be submitted to the Department of Internal
Trade on a prescribed form accompanied by original documents which will be
returned to the applicant after review.
- The license shall be valid for three years and may be renewed at least
two months before expiration.
- Non-Saudi engineers may be licensed under certain specified conditions
if Saudi engineers are not available in sufficient numbers.
- A foreign bureau or company with prior experience shall be licensed to
engage in consulting engineering in its field in the country subject to
the following conditions:
-The head office, bureau, or company must be licensed in the same
-The bureau or company must have at least ten years of experience
in its field.
-The head office, bureau or company must submit an
endorsed certificate pledging to support the bureau or company to carry
out work in its name in the Kingdom. It must also agree to assume all
responsibilities and commitments as indicated in the relevant rules and
instructions in the Kingdom.
-A certificate from a bank acceptable to
the Saudi Arabian Monetary Agency testifying to the company's
capabilities, financial reputation, and commercial dealings must be
-A certified statement on work performed by the company
outside the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in the project area which the company
proposes to undertake in the Kingdom should also be submitted.
photocopy of the company's balance sheet and profit and loss statement for
the last two years duly certified by an accredited accountant must be
-Certificates showing the company's performance in relation
to its operations inside or outside the Kingdom are also required.
license is valid for two years and may be renewed for an additional two
years provided a request for renewal is received at least two months
before expiration of the license.
4- Ministerial Resolution No. 595 dated 13 Thul
Qa'dah 95 H.(1975)
covering the practicing of Chartered Accountants. Following are the main
- An individual wishing to register as a Chartered Accountant in Saudi
Arabia must be a member of an internationally recognized chartered
- Prescribed forms must be used and accompanied by the necessary
Please contact Internal Trade Department, Ministry of Commerce (see